People can have either monolids or double eyelids. A monolid is the lack of the arc-shaped crease around the eyes which causes the eyes to appear smaller. On the contrary hand, a double eyelid is an eyelid with a crease on the upper lid, which makes a person’s eyes look bigger. Most find double eyelids to be ideally appealing and hold them up as a standard of beauty especially by Asians where about 50% have monolids. This is one of the main reasons why double eyelid surgery (https://www.artisanplasticsurgery.sg/procedures/asian-blepharoplasty) is so popular in Asian countries like Singapore. If you are one of those interested in having double eyelids, read on to learn more about Double Eyelid Surgery in Singapore.
Double Eyelid Surgery, also called Asian Blepharoplasty, is a cosmetic surgery designed to make the crease above the upper eyelid or to make them more obvious to improve the appearance of a person. People with monolids frequently worry that their eyes appear small, making them appear tired or sleepy and less appealing. In contrast, a double eyelid is believed to enlarge the eyes and increase their expressiveness and alertness, giving a person a more aesthetically pleasant facial features. The benefits of Double Eyelid Surgery, aside from improved facial features, includes the following:
- Can be performed as out-patient procedure
- Downtime required is short
- Procedure is quick and most can be completed in 45 minutes
- Scarring is minimal
- Can boost self-esteem
Double Eyelid Surgery in Singapore can be performed either through its two main methods – Suture blepharoplasty or Incisional blepharoplasty. Below is a short discussion about each of the methods:
- Suture blepharoplasty is minimally invasive and will require no incisions to create the double eyelid but will instead make use of picture access points in the upper eyelid. Fine sutures are meticulously placed to create the crease in the eyelids. Since it is less invasive, Suture blepharoplasty poses reduced risk of visible scarring. However, the double eyelid could drop or even disappear if the suture material is insufficient to keep it in place. Patients who do not want a significant change in look and whose upper eyelids are not excessively heavy should consider the suture procedure. Suture blepharoplasty can be done repeatedly.
- Incisional blepharoplasty involves making a small cut (incision) where the new upper eyelid crease will go, exposing the upper eyelid’s anatomy beneath the skin, and then precisely suturing the corresponding muscle and skin to form the double eyelid. Incisional blepharoplasty sometimes will also involve some skin, muscle, and fat being removed as part of the procedure. Incisional blepharoplasty offers the capability of precisely visualizing and approximating the tissue layers appropriately and regulating the fold to be created. However, since incisions are required, Incisional blepharoplasty poses an increased risk of visible scars or swelling or bruising after the procedure resulting in longer downtime. The results of Incisional blepharoplasty are more permanent.
What to expect
For Double Eyelid Surgery in Singapore in general, before undergoing the actual surgery, there is an initial check-up with your preferred surgeon to know your medical status, goals and expectations and gather relevant information in order to properly address your concern and make a proper medical intervention.
The initial check-up involves taking a look at your medical history such as medications or treatments you are taking, past surgeries or allergies. Diseases specific to the eyes such as glaucoma will also be checked and other diseases like diabetes, heart problems, etc. Medical examination for the eyes, visual field testing and eye photography will also be utilized by the surgeon. After the initial check-up, the surgeon will be able to discuss with you the suitable method for your Double Eyelid Surgery in Singapore.
Days or hours before the set Double Eyelid Surgery, you will be required to refrain from taking some medications that could result in complications and from smoking, etc. Alcohol and caffeine intake 48 hours prior to your Double Eyelid Surgery is not allowed. Other common reminders would include arranging for someone to take you home and care for you while you recover. For more specific instructions, check with the surgeon.
The procedures that will be performed during the double eyelid surgery in Singapore will vary depending on the method chosen. Both procedures will require anesthesia to be administered.
The following side effects can be anticipated after surgery:
- Swollen eyes
- Double vision
- Slight soreness
- Discomfort at the eyelids or nearby areas
It is advised for the patient to stay away from any physical activity for at most five days following Suture blepharoplasty or for at most three weeks after Incisional blepharoplasty.
After double eyelid surgery, it’s also advisable to restrict activities that strain the eyes, such as reading and prolonged screen time. Wearing of contact lenses are also not allowed if not yet fully recovered from Double Eyelid Surgery. Like in pre-surgery, consumption of alcohol, smoking, etc. is also not allowed. Patients should likewise follow the post-surgical schedule advised by the surgeon and to seek immediate medical attention if bleeding, one-sided pain and or problems with vision occurs. Moreover, there are times when a correction is required if asymmetry occurs after Double Eyelid Surgery.
There are currently a lot of clinics in Singapore that offer various cosmetic procedures like Double Eyelid Surgery since the demand has been rising since the past years. As a rule of thumb, look for a surgeon with experience.
Cost of Double Eyelid Surgery in Singapore
The cost of Double Eyelid Surgery in Singapore may vary from clinic to clinic and/or from the surgeon who will perform it. The total price may also include other expenses like consultation fees, prescription medications of around, etc. The method used for the Double Eyelid Surgery is also another factor.
In Singapore, an Incisional blepharoplasty costs $5,000 or more while the cost of a Suture blepharoplasty eyelid surgery ranges from $3,200 to $4,000. Some clinics may offer options that like installments if using a credit and it is best to discuss with your chosen clinic the options.
Artisan Aesthetic and Plastic Surgery
290 Orchard Road #07-11,
Paragon Medical Suites,
(65) 8129 7887