Opioids, which are commonly known as narcotics, are a type of medication. They generally include prescription medications or pain relievers such as tramadol, fentanyl, oxycodone and hydrocodone. Opioids also include the illicit substance heroin. Some opioids are derived from the opium poppy, whereas others are manufactured synthetically. Your doctor may prescribe opioids to help you cope with the pain, which most people experience after a surgery or injury.
What are the possible side-effects of opioids?
Some of the possible side-effects of opioids include constipation, mental fog, drowsiness and nausea. It can cause shortness of breath sometimes, and this might lead to death in few cases.
- They suddenly make gurgling noise or begin to vomit.
- Their lips become blue or purple in color. You might observe change in color of their fingernails too.
- Their face becomes exceedingly pale.
- They will not be able to speak properly.
- Their heartbeat slows down.
Addiction and dependence are two other hazards associated with the use of prescription opioids. When you’re addicted to a drug, you’ll experience withdrawal symptoms if you don’t take it. Addiction is a problem which makes an individual misuse the drugs like opioids. The worst part is they do it even after knowing that they are harmful to their health. People with opioid addiction should be immediately taken to a rehab center. Otherwise, the problem can turn out to be more severe.
Arrow Passage is one place where you can find a solution for drug addiction. The team here supports their patients very well and ensures that they leave happily and lead a normal life. Many people use naloxone, which is popularly known as Narcan to reverse the effects of Opioids. This has saved the life of many opioid addicts from death.
However, according to researchers, even it has some side-effects.
What are the risk factors of opioid overdose?
- Having medical conditions like HIV or AIDS or cancer or mental health problems.
- Using opioids with alcohol.
- Using the opioid medications without speaking with a doctor.
- Taking high doses of opioids through injections.
Older people may not be able to tolerate high dose. Even women are at more of opioid side-effects as their body will be sensitive.
How to prevent using opioid overdose?
Contacting a doctor is essential before using opioids. In fact, everybody should stay away from the opioid medications, if they are not prescribed by a doctor. If any one from your loved ones are using opioids, educate them politely that it could be harmful to their health. Let them know how many people have lost their life due to opioid addiction. To divert their mind from opioid addiction, take them for a tour to a different place.
What are the signs of opioid addiction?
Some of the signs of opioids addiction are –
- Stays isolated. They restrict themselves to their bedroom.
- Don’t eat food.
- Shouts for no reason.
- Abuses or fights with the people around. In fact, you will observe a sudden change in their behavior.
Take the help of a mental health specialist immediately, if anyone of your loved ones is suffering with opioid addiction!