Once you sustain an injury due to the negligence of a third party, it is considered a personal injury. There is a provision for filing a lawsuit against this injury to claim compensation from the negligent party. However, there are certain mistakes that people often make after the personal injury case, which they must avoid.
So, in this article, we will discuss what are some of the important mistakes that you must avoid after sustaining a personal injury. If you stay in Bridgeport, you can also consult the lawyers in the Bridgeport legal advice centres for a better understanding of the cases.
Top 5 Mistakes to Avoid After Sustaining Personal Injury
- Failing to Seek Immediate Medical Assistance: You must take immediate medical assistance to heal your injury. This is one of the common mistakes of personal injury cases that people avoid prompt medical care. If the injury is minor, you can take simple medications prescribed by doctors, but you cannot avoid medical assistance. It is because medical assistance will allow you to get an official record of your injury that you can use as evidence.
- Not Documenting the Incident and Injury: If you are unable to document the incident or the injury through medical records, it will pose the risk of evidence. While claiming compensation, you must have proper documentation such as pictures of accident scenes, injuries, medical treatments and, related expenses, and other such details.
- Giving Recorded Statements Without Legal Advice: Insurance companies will try to contact you after the incident, and they will represent the at-fault party. So, this insurance company will try to reduce your insurance claim by asking a few questions or recording your statements. Therefore, you should consult your personal injury attorney before giving any statement or signing any document. Your statements can be used against you in your claims, and therefore, you must be careful about it.
- Settling Quickly Without Legal Advice: If you are settling too quickly with the insurance company without consulting the personal injury lawyers, you will be at risk. You should consult an attorney so that they can help you in increasing your claims, and you can get your required settlement amount from the at-fault party.
- Not Seeking Legal Representation: If you are injured in a personal injury case, you should seek legal representation. It is important because if you don’t take legal representation, it becomes difficult for you to handle your injury and all the legalities at the same time. Additionally, there is also a problem with handling the insurance company, which always tries to reduce your claim amount for damages and injuries.